Thursday, June 9, 2011

The family

I live in a rural town, in the far northeast corner of Oregon. Cowboys, hippies, and now wolves. Oh, and rattlesnakes. Although those aren't to be found in my immediate vicinity. Thirty miles away, where my son and his family live, rattlesnakes are not uncommon. Which is why I hate to visit them. When I do brave it to their house, I pull up and park as close as possible to their back door. Then I run for my life for that door, praying all the way. I don't walk around their yard. Any admiring that I do of their extensive garden comes from looking out their windows. I've never seen a rattlesnake yet, but I know they're there. And I'm convinced that they know that I'm there. So it's a stand-off, at least so far.

I've owned my house for 20 years now. It's 100 years old this year. And definitely not without it's problems, most financial. For example, the roof. I realized back in December that the roof needed replaced. I managed to get a home equity loan (another one) and called the roofers. They put me on their waiting list and guess what?? Today, 6 months later, I got the call from them saying that I'm at the top of the list and Monday they'll start the re-roof project! I am so excited. Mostly I'm relieved. Four days ago the ceiling in my sewing room starting leaking. So there's another project waiting for me -- repairing the ceiling and a good sized portion of one of the walls. It never ends, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment